School Community Councils (SCC’s) improve educational programs and conditions at public schools. Councils operate using the shared governance approach: collaborative, site-based decision making to meet individual school improvement goals. Every public school in Utah has a community council consisting of two elected groups: parents (that’s you!) and teachers/administrators.
The Southland SCC has responsibilities defined both by the Jordan School District and the Utah Legislature. Two of our biggest responsibilities are assisting in the development of School Improvement Plans (SIP’s) and LAND Trust Plans. SCC’s also work on issues brought forth by parents, staff, and faculty.
How can I get involved with the Southland SCC?
• Complete an SCC Application to become a voting member (completed by the September deadline each year) and attend scheduled meetings OR
• Attend scheduled meetings as a public member (no voting rights)
• Read the minutes
• Become an elected member (elections held at the last meeting of the school year)
School Community Council Meetings
We invite you to attend Southland Elementary SCC meetings to learn about our greatest academic needs, our School Improvement Plan and help in the decision-making process for using LAND Trust funds. At Southland, we also regularly discuss school safety, share District news, get PTO Updates, and talk about other important issues affecting our school. You have a voice and together we can make a positive difference in the education of our children!
Southland's LAND Trust Distribution(s):
2023-2024 School Year: $92,025.86
2022-2023 School Year: $90,483
2021-2022 School Year: $90,462
2023-2024 Meeting Schedule
- Thursday October 12, 2023-5:30 p.m. (Agenda)
- Thursday November 16, 2023-5:30 p.m. (Agenda)
- Thursday January 18, 2024-5:30 p.m.
- Thursday March 21, 2024-5:30 p.m.
2023-2024 Southland School Community Council Contacts
|Lay Kou||Faculty Rep.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Julia Halliday||Parent Rep.||email@example.com|
|Jennifer Preece||Parent Rep.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
Copies of previous year's SCC minutes can be found in the main office at Southland Elementary
Learn more about shared governance and the role of councils here: