School Community Councils (SCC’s) improve educational programs and conditions at public schools. Councils operate using the shared governance approach: collaborative, site-based decision making to meet individual school improvement goals. Every public school in Utah has a community council consisting of two elected groups: parents (that’s you!) and teachers/administrators.
The Southland SCC has responsibilities defined both by the Jordan School District and the Utah Legislature. Two of our biggest responsibilities are assisting in the development of School Improvement Plans (SIP’s) and LAND Trust Plans. SCC’s also work on issues brought forth by parents, staff, and faculty.
How can I get involved with the Southland SCC?
• Complete an SCC Application to become a voting member (completed by the September deadline each year) and attend scheduled meetings OR
• Attend scheduled meetings as a public member (no voting rights)
• Read the minutes
• Become an elected member (elections held at the last meeting of the school year)
School Community Council Meetings
We invite you to attend Southland Elementary SCC meetings to learn about our greatest academic needs, our School Improvement Plan and help in the decision-making process for using LAND Trust funds. At Southland, we also regularly discuss school safety, share District news, get PTO Updates, and talk about other important issues affecting our school. You have a voice and together we can make a positive difference in the education of our children!
2020/2021 Meeting Schedule
Due to the current COVID situation all meetings will be held via Zoom. To join meetings click on the following link.
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 982 2855 2533 Passcode: A5SqYm
- Thursday, September 24, 2020 @ 5:30 pm Southland SCC Minutes September 24, 2020
- Thursday, November 19, 2020 @ 5:30 pm Southland SCC Minutes November 19 2020
- Thursday, January 28, 2021@ 5:30 pm Southland SCC Minutes January 28 2021
- Thursday, March 18, 2021@ 5:30 pm
- Thursday, May 27, 2021 (if needed) @ 5:30 pm
2020/2021 Southland School Community Council Contacts
|Adrienne Borgfirstname.lastname@example.org||801-865-9705||Vice Chair|
|Nicole Campbellemail@example.com||801-792-9272||PTO Representative|
|Lacey Butterfieldfirstname.lastname@example.org||801-254-8047||School Employee|
|Lisa Nielsenemail@example.com||801-254-8047||School Employee|
Copies of previous year's SCC minutes can be found in the main office at Southland Elementary.
Learn more about shared governance and the role of councils here:
School Land Trust
Jordan School District School Community Council Resources